10-Minute Play Competition 2016
Adjudicator: Angie Farrow
Proudly sponsored by
Enquiries and submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The competition is for scripts suitable for performing on stage with a playing time between 7 and 10 minutes.
- The entrant must be a member of PANZ. Membership is open to any person who is a long-term resident of New Zealand or is resident for the whole of 2016. The annual membership fee is $25. To join, see: wordpress.com. There is no additional entry fee.
- A member may submit up to two plays. Each play can be individually authored, co-authored, or authored as a member of a collective.
- The script must not be an adaptation of anyone else’s previously published or performed work. We advise that you check copyright if quoting previously published work.
- The name of the author(s) and/or their contact details must not appear anywhere on the script.
- There is no prescribed script layout.
- Writers are recommended to use no more than four actors.
- The play must not have been performed before a paying audience before 1 May 2016.
- Entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com attaching a completed Entry Form and the script as a Word file.
- Entries open 01 March 2016 and close 30 April 2016.
- The Adjudicator will select a First, a Second and a Third place winner and five other Finalists who will all be announced in July 2016. No member can occupy more than one Finalist place.
- The First, Second and Third place winners will receive a cash prize of $100, $50 and $25 respectively and will be invited to a workshop later in 2016 organised by Playmarket where a professional script advisor, director and professional actors will help develop their winning play. This will be held in Wellington or Auckland and transport costs for the writer will be paid.
- The winning four plays will be given a public performance late in 2016 by the Waihi Drama Society. PANZ will also promote the plays of all eight Finalists as a single show and is hopeful of finding an organisation willing to give them all a public production. See our website (newzealandplaywrights.wordpress.com) for the latest information.
- In the event of a production, if the play runs for more than ten minutes then the writer will be obliged to shorten it. The director will not make alterations, additions or deletions to the Script except with the consent of the writer. For the purposes of copyright ownership, any agreed alterations, additions or deletions of any kind will be deemed to be the writer’s own work. Casting, set, sound, lighting effects and stage directions are at the discretion of the director.
- Once selected for performance writers may not withdraw their play from production without the permission of PANZ.
- All rights of each play will remain with the author.